Thursday, April 8, 2010

A Day of Summer

It was 90 degrees yesterday.
I loved it.
It was the kind of heat that warms you down to the bones and makes you feel like you're baking.
(Instead of being steamed.)
At lunchtime, I sat outside.
I watched two frenetic ants crawl all over the wooden chair next to me.
And I let the sun soak into my skin.

My seeds are growing.
With luck I'll have sweet peppers all summer long.
And cucumbers, squash, and zucchini, if I ever get around to planting.
I started work on my yard tonight.
We will have a perpetual battle against the maple seeds.
I pulled up twenty or so baby trees tonight, rooted into the ground already.
If you don't get 'em when they're little, they will take over.
Don't believe me?
Check out the one under the back porch with a trunk bigger than your thumb.
Can you imagine if I let it go for another year...?
Twenty maple trees in my tiny front yard.
Preposterous.

No comments:

Post a Comment