Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Independence

It's the Fourth of July (in an hour, anyway). Time to think about our independence and be grateful for those who did something to help us attain it.

As I sang our national anthem with the rest of the Relief Society on Sunday, I was struck by how important the American flag must have been to those who were fighting for their freedoms: freedom to worship, to speak their minds, to defend their properties and homes, and more.

What is that which the breeze,
o'er the towering steep,
as it fitfully blows, half conceals, half discloses?
Now it catches the gleam of the morning's first beam,
in full glory reflected now shines on the stream;
'tis the star-spangled banner!

It reminds me of another flag, the title of liberty, that an ancient military prophet-leader erected to inspire his people to defend their country's freedoms. (read the story here)

In memory of our God,
our religion, and freedom,
and our peace, our wives,
and our children.

The stars and stripes remind me that our God watches over this land, and that He prepared it as a place of peace and freedom for His children so the fulness of the gospel could be restored. Seeing it makes me grateful for the blessings I enjoy.

Oh, thus be it ever,
when free men shall stand
between their loved homes and the war's desolation!
Blest with victory and peace,
may the heaven-rescued land
praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation!

To those (and their loved ones) who give part or all their lives in defense of my freedom, thank you. I am grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment