Thursday, January 3, 2013

New Year, New Post

We started a new year. My celebration was pretty uneventful. I skipped a party because I had a headache, and read the Harvard Business Review until I was sleepy instead. As I was falling asleep, I heard fireworks outside and thought, It must be midnight. Whee.

I want this year to be good. And while I haven't (yet) made a tremendous lot of resolutions, I liked the conversation I had with my friend at work the other day. He said we should have objectives for the year as opposed to resolutions. With objectives, you can set up little steps to achieve measurable results. Resolutions are more like I'm going to be totally different all at once. Whammo. And if I fail once, it's over and I'll just give up. Objectives are more reasonable - and theoretically easier to accomplish.

So, I need to make objectives for 2013. After I figure out what it is I want from this year. (Besides the quick return of springtime - 9 degrees Farenheit in the morning just hurts. Seriously.)

Are you going to join me? What are your 2013 objectives?

1 comment:

  1. Good friend to give that advice. I have been doing similarly for as long as I can remember. I learned it from my friend's family in high school. They were a very goal oriented family and at the beginning of each year would have a meeting about their goals. They made sure to create specific, measurable, and attainable goals. So I'll write down something big like "Read more books" for my big goal, and then create a specific, measurable, and attainable objective.

    ReplyDelete