Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Peace and Healing

I know so many who need peace and healing, who just want to forget what they experienced yesterday in Boston. Even though I was not downtown at all (and the mundane budget preparation I was doing is nothing by comparison), I know people who were, and my heart aches for everyone who was affected, whether directly or indirectly.

Yesterday morning was a special Monday opening at the Boston temple. I went because I was asked to serve, but it was a blessing for me as much as a service opportunity. I was in a worship session at 7:30 am with about 40 young missionaries and a few other people. I reflected on the power in that room - 38 young men who bear the priesthood, and 2 young women, all called of God and set apart to preach His gospel in Boston and the surrounding region. All 40 have put their education and their lives on hold while they serve the Lord full-time, spreading the good news of the restoration of the gospel of Jesus Christ to the earth. They represented only a fraction of the Elders and Sisters who serve in our area, but while small in number, they were great in power and devotion to the truth.

Tonight, my home teachers came over - two of the best men I know. They bear the priesthood of God and are responsible to visit and care for a small number of men and women in our ward. They shared with me a message of hope and peace, of joy in the resurrection of Jesus Christ and the knowledge that we will one day be restored to a perfect, immortal body because of His grace. One commented that it seemed this message was inspired, exactly what we needed to hear today. It helped me listen with greater focus, and I found peace and joy in contemplating the magnificent blessings of the Atonement and Resurrection of my Savior Jesus Christ.

As I have pondered on the events that took place yesterday with these two experiences as bookends, this is the most important message I can think to offer:

"As we rely on the Atonement of Jesus Christ, He can help us endure our trials, sicknesses, and pain. We can be filled with joy, peace, and consolation. All that is unfair about life can be made right through the Atonement of Jesus Christ." (read more here, in Preach My Gospel)


"The love of God and the power of the restored gospel are redemptive and saving. ... His divine love ... can dress any wound, heal any hurt, and soften any sorrow." (President Dieter F. Uchtdorf, here.)

I know that Jesus Christ lives and I know that He can heal us from all the wounds that were inflicted by yesterday's tragedy, whether physical, emotional, or spiritual in nature. God knows and loves all His children, and He will not turn His back on us now. Please join with me in turning to Him for peace and the healing we all need.

No comments:

Post a Comment