Friday, October 11, 2013

Conference

Last weekend we had the semiannual General Conference of the Church. It's one of my favorite times of year - a chance to hear from living prophets and apostles who speak the word of God. Four sessions, two hours each, filled with inspiring messages and Spirit-filled music, that build my soul and fortify me for the next six months.

In the past I have tried to approach Conference with a question or two about things going on in my life, and then I listen carefully to inspired talks and to the Spirit. Invariably, the Lord provides answers to those questions through the words of His chosen servants. This time was similar - I had one question, one that has been on my mind a while, and I sought help from Conference to learn an answer. The second talk contained what I felt was the answer I had requested - or at least the first part of it - and I was anxious to learn more as the sessions continued.

After the first session ended, I went out to run errands. My plan didn't go quite how I had expected, and I didn't ever get to my grocery shopping. There was another plan executed instead (a harder one, but in the end, it was a better one). I came home with the help of a friend and spent the rest of the weekend (and much of this week) lying on the couch, learning how to be still, to be served, and to be healed.

And by design, I believe, the rest of Conference focused my attention on the new message I needed to hear. Here are some of my favorite parts of what I heard (and have listened to again and again this week):

"Though we may feel we are 'like a broken vessel,' as the Psalmist says, we must remember, that vessel is in the hands of the divine potter."

"Only the Master knows the depths of our trials, our pain, and our suffering. He alone offers us eternal peace in times of adversity. He alone touches our tortured souls with His comforting words: 'Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.' Whether it is the best of times or the worst of times, He is with us. He has promised that this will never change."

"I will not fail thee, nor forsake thee."

"God's promise to the humble is that He will lead them by the hand. I truly believe that we will avoid detours and sadness in our lives as long as we walk hand in hand with the Lord."

There have been miracles and blessings this week - blessings I would not have noticed or counted but for this alternative plan. I am glad for what Conference has taught me so far. And for what it will yet teach me:

"The greatest blessings of general conference come to us after the conference is over. Remember the pattern recorded frequently in scripture: we gather to hear the words of the Lord, and we return to our homes to live them."

1 comment: