Thursday, November 12, 2009

Scripture Study is Good for the Soul

I am preparing my lesson for Relief Society on Sunday.  Today, that meant immersing myself in the scriptures.  As I pondered the role of this final dispensation in the greater context of the Plan of Salvation, I found my heart lighter and my mind elevated.  It has lifted me beyond the concerns that have lodged in my heart this week, and helped me to see past the sometimes mundane tasks that fill my waking hours.  I felt the joy that accompanies light as it filled my mind and heart.

Imagine how motivating the words of the Prophet Joseph must have been to the early saints of the Church.  They certainly motivate me!

"The work which has to be accomplished in the last days is one of vast importance, and will call into action the energy, skill, talent, and ability of the Saints, so that it may roll forth with that glory and majesty described by the prophet [Daniel]; and will consequently require the concentration of the Saints, to accomplish works of such magnitude and grandeur. ... well will it be for those who shall aid in carrying into effect the mighty operations of Jehovah."  (Joseph Smith)

In what greater work can we engage than assisting our Lord in bringing salvation to His children?

1 comment:

  1. "It has lifted me beyond the concerns that have lodged in my heart this week"

    As soon as I read this... a lot of the heaviness and dread I am feeling right now lifted. Thank you

    ReplyDelete