Sunday, November 29, 2009

Sabbath Ponderings

Happy Sabbath!  It is my favorite day of the week.  Although today has presented some interesting challenges...

I came home from church to find my wireless connection was on the fritz.  Of course, the first thought that popped into my head was, "you should call RB (a CS grad known for his problem-solving skills)".  So I did, and he talked me through fixing the wacky wireless connection.  I got off the phone thinking: problem solved. I can access Gmail again, so I'm all set.  And I know how to fix it next time it goes nuts.  Life is good. Right? 

Wrong.  I started making dinner, and my microwave fritzed out.  No kidding.  It's like it hates butternut squash or something!  Seriously.  The sad thing is, this time, I don't have a graduate in "microwave science" with problem solving skills in my reportoire of friends to fix it for me.  Thus, the first thought that popped into my head this time was, "I need a husband."  And I do.  And I'm taking applications.

The good news, of course, is that I can live without a microwave.  Well, I won't eat butternut squash until it's fixed, but whatever.  Why is it so easy, you ask?  Because... I have a toaster oven!  Think toasted muenster cheese on sourdough bread.  For every meal.  Mmmm.....  Well, except breakfast. Breakfast is why they invented cereal... and who microwaves their cereal?  Seriously.

In other news... last night I went to a friends' house to watch the BYU/Utah game.  I haven't watched football in years, purportedly because I'm not that into it.  Then I caught myself yelling at the TV when two BYU guys were trying to catch up with and tackle a Ute player who had the ball.  They did.  And then I was happy.  Maybe I don't watch sports because I do get into it.  It was entertaining, to say the least, and I enjoyed watching a bunch of fans jump up and cheer for a team playing two times zones away when we made the final touchdown. 

I also went to the temple with my friend S yesterday.  Good friends are a wonderful part of mortality that make me happy.  And tonight, RB and HTE made pancakes.  I ate well in exchange for a few dishes done... at least one of the two kitchens is clean! (Mine's not.)  Thanks, friends.

And now the Sabbath is ending and a new week awaits.  So much for my lovely vacation... it's over.  Fortunately, it doesn't have to be Thanksgiving for me to be grateful!  Today I am grateful for

friends...
feeling the Spirit in church meetings...
a deeper understanding of the condescension of God...
iTunes (whose music kept me from getting upset when said microwave fritzed)...
Christmas music...
choir...
& my bed.

Goodnight.

1 comment: