Tuesday, June 8, 2010

The Endless To Do Lists

You'd think that if I was exhausted, I wouldn't blog about being tired, I'd just go to bed.

But that would be too easy.

I learned something new today.  OK, it's not really new.  It just reinforces the existing assumptions I already have been using (mostly) to operate in my life.  It's this...

No Matter How Early You Start, You Will Never Be Done. 

With everything important, I am learning, there is always more to do.  Another project, another person to reach out to, another set of things to learn, another event, another book, another load of laundry.  Life is not about getting done.  It's about finding joy in doing, obtaining a proper balance for the current time of life, and prioritizing.  It reminds me of Elder Oaks' talk in conference a while back about Good, Better, Best.  "The number of good things we can do far exceeds the time available to accomplish them. Some things are better than good, and these are the things that should command priority attention in our lives."

It turns out that "catching up" doesn't really mean much, in the grand scheme of things.  (What or who am I catching up to?  And according to whom?)  Learning to love, teaching truth, and overcoming obstacles do mean something.  So does scripture study ... and temple attendance ... and family time.  Thus, even if today's to do list was longer at the end of the day than it was at the beginning (in spite of starting earlier ... and even if that happened yesterday, too), it's OK.

End of sermon to self. (With luck, someone else can appreciate the need for it, too.)

(End of parenthetical remarks... of which there were an overabundance tonight.)

No comments:

Post a Comment