Sunday, June 6, 2010

Gale Force Winds

I heard the rumblings of thunder, and moved a chair into the sunroom so I could watch the progress of the storm.  We've had storms pretty regularly this past week, including thunder cracking just overhead (at 3:15 am) so fiercely that one jumps out of bed to shut the windows while simultaneously praying the lightning doesn't actually strike something familiar.  At first, the storm seemed pretty mild, the pitter-patter of rain and the gentle rumblings of thunder soft in the background of the passing traffic.  But within a few minutes, the fierceness of this summer thunderstorm was unleashed, and rain poured down from overhead. Not to be outdone, the wind kicked up, and then the rain was pouring not down, but sideways, through the open windows and into my home.  It looked like a hurricane when I glanced out my kitchen window as I grabbed paper towels to clean up the mess - within a minute, enough water came in one window sufficient to fill a glass and quench my thirst (I just mopped it up off the floor instead).

I don't remember having thunderstorms like these so consistently in past years.  Or weather patterns where one moment the sun in shining, and within minutes, the sky has gone dark and a torrential downpour ensues.  It is fascinating to live in a place where you can watch the clouds speed by during the time it takes the light to turn green at an intersection.  I appreciate the experience, even when it means cleaning up puddles after failing to close the windows quickly enough.

Today I watched a good brother who was recently baptized administer the ordinance of the sacrament - a sacred responsibility in itself - and noticed that he took an extra few seconds before putting the bread and water to his lips to ponder the significance of what he was about to do.  It struck me that perhaps, sometimes, our religious rituals become so commonplace that we fail to comprehend the signficance of the symbolism so deeply etched within them.  This brother's small action was a reminder to me of the privilege it is to take the sacrament of the Lord's Supper, to renew the covenants we have made with Him, and to receive afresh the remission of our sins.  What a blessing!  I am learning to deeply appreciate the insight that a new convert's perspective on the "everyday doings" of our Church can bring.  We have much to learn from these good people.

There has also been occasion to ponder the Lord's workings in my own life as I have observed my heart becoming softened in some ways, and recognized its hardness in others.  Thankfully, the Lord who is Master over the winds and the waves and the stormy rains is also Master of our souls.  His Atoning, redeeming grace makes up for what I lack, and gives me capacity to change.  With Him, nothing is impossible.

1 comment:

  1. I have been thinking about you during all of this stormy weather. I have a good friend who lives in Boston and she said the other night lightning struck her buildings roof and set off the fire alarms in the middle of the night. I like a good summer rain storm but not when it gets that scary. Stay safe and dry out there!

    ReplyDelete