Saturday, June 12, 2010

On Theism

I attended a fireside by Elder Russell M. Nelson on Thursday evening.  He gave a masterful discourse on Theism and how critical it is to stand in support of a Theistic culture (as opposed to an Atheistic one).  He spoke boldly in favor of marriage and the traditional family (a man and a woman, married for life, having children).  He also talked about how the traditional family has a positive impact on our economy. For some interesting additional reading, peruse the talks given by Dr. Patrick Fagan at the World Congress of Families... I just did and there's a lot to think about there.  Profoundly, Elder Nelson stated that "If you lose marriage, you lose freedom of religion."  That was enough to make me sit up and pay attention (even more than I already was)!

His words opened the eyes of my understanding to why the Church is so bold in its opposition to the propositions that seek to redefine the marriage relationship, and why its members have been asked to stand for the same, actively participating in sustaining marriage and family.  I have wondered more than once how I would feel about being asked to get politically involved in my own community on issues such as these.  This, of course, then makes me wonder what I should or could be doing now to defend the Theistic culture on which our country was founded.  It is good food for thought, especially on a Sabbath eve.

No comments:

Post a Comment