Sunday, October 24, 2010

How Cutting Boards Are Also Teaching Tools

I was pulling out my cutting board the other day (my nice, new, rubber-edged, wash-it-only-by-hand-to-keep-it-looking-nice cutting board), and noticed some enthusiastic helper had unintentionally made large cut marks in it. For a split second, I was disappointed, and thought to myself, perhaps I should not share what I really care about...  Then, realizing what I'd just thought, I thought again (for of course, what else is a cutting board for?) - perhaps I should not care so much about the things I share. 

Fast foward two or three days. Now I'm sitting in Relief Society and we're talking about Elder D. Todd Christofferson's talk from General Conference called "Reflections on a Consecrated Life."  Something our lovely instructor said reminded me of this brief incedent a few days earlier, and I pondered its signficance... If God asked me to give up my cutting board, I could do it. The more contemplative question is this: if God asked me to give up the thing about which I cared the most, how would I respond?

No comments:

Post a Comment