Sunday, October 17, 2010

Wherein You Use Your Imagination

I have been enjoying cooking the past few days. Unfortunately, I always think about taking a picture after I've eaten it. So, instead, I'll try to write a thousand words about each one... or not. :-)

Garlic Spinach Pizza with a Twist... imagine pizza dough topped with a garlic cream sauce, chopped spinach, mozzerella chunks, and craisins. Yes, you heard right. Craisins! I was out of tomatoes last Sunday, and tried these sweetened, dried cranberries as an alternative for the red color.  I loved it!  So much so, I made it again today.  Mmm... The red/green/white combination is beautiful, and I love it when the cheese browns slightly to a toasty perfection.

Butternut Squash Soup... now think about a rich golden soup flavored with nutmeg and cinnamon. No cream in this one, just the mild butternut squash flavor combined perfectly with fresh tart apple. A slice of sourdough from the bakery serves as a great alternative to a spoon for the first half of the bowl.

And finally, BBQ pulled pork... this is my favorite way to eat pork. Made in a crock pot, simmered in root beer (!), and topped with BBQ sauce. It tastes wonderful as a hot sandwich on toasted sourdough with muenster cheese (but then again, that tastes wonderful by itself), or cold as a side to some fruits and veggies. A great (and portable!) lunch option!

And that, my friends, is what I've been doing this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment