Friday, October 8, 2010

On Vision

I had a day the other day that would have been all right, if I hadn't had to get up at the beginning. 

OK, it wasn't that bad... but it was a day that came after two days of overcast rainy mist, and those two days were kind of long and a little challenging.  Then I had some news that sort of threw me off kilter.  By the end of the day, I was feeling rather blah-ish and wishing things were different. 

Like, wishing I could do everything I felt like I was supposed to be doing - exercise, study the gospel, use different time to study to prepare my RS lesson for Sunday, serve my friends, get my laundry done, fulfill my dreams, eat healthy dinners, get enough sleep - and wondering how it was all supposed to get done to my satisfaction...

Then I prayed, and basically asked the Lord for the big picture. The "tell me everything so there won't be any surprises and I can figure out how where I am fits in with where I'm going" sort of prayer. He answered... with the words from a hymn:

I do not ask to see
The distant scene
One step enough for me.

As Harold B Lee taught Boyd K Packer: "You must learn to walk to the edge of the light, and then a few steps into the darkness; then the light will appear and show the way before you."

No comments:

Post a Comment