Sunday, May 22, 2011

Everything

I was struck by this scripture today:

"Yea, rejoice evermore, and in everything give thanks..."

In everything? Really? It is easy to give thanks when I feel happy. Not so much so when I'm not. I'm probably not the only one who sometimes has such a hard day that the evening prayer starts with a pause while I search my mind to find something for which I am thankful... I also doubt I am the only one whose thanks in prayer is sometimes only cursory, not well thought out, just mere words. When I am truly thankful, though, my heart fills with joy and happiness. To learn how to have that all of the time would be a wonderful gift.

What does giving thanks for everything (even broken dreams or spilled milk) do to your heart? How does rejoicing (even in the hard times) change you?

No comments:

Post a Comment