Tuesday, May 24, 2011

A Walk

Today I saw the sun was shining, so I took my lunch outside and ate while I listened to the birds chatter and the T rumble by. I watched the little black flying bugs that don't seem to notice you as they fly toward your face, almost smacking you before they veer off in another direction.  I saw little purple four-leaf flowers growing in the underbrush, a few robins hopping along looking for food, and lots of green.

When I got home, it wasn't dark yet, so I dropped my things and headed back outside for a long walk around the cemetery. I smelled the lilacs, trying to remember whether the deeply purple or the lighter flowers contain my favorite fragrance. I saw the persistent oak trees attempting to grow within the bushes at the edge of the fence. I heard the chatter of the birds, the little ones chirping at a higher pitch than the larger ones. I noticed how many weeds need to be pulled in my front yard (and ignored them) and how much litter blemishes the landscape around the cemetery, and thought how perhaps I should bring a trash bag with me next time I walk. And I wondered whether the ice cream shop around the corner from my house has their famous orange sherbet/vanilla swirl soft serve yet.

It was delightful.

Blue skies and lilacs remain on my list of favorites.

No comments:

Post a Comment