Friday, August 17, 2012

A Story

Once upon a time, I was about to graduate from school
but I didn't know what to do with my life.

I knew where I belonged,
but not what I was supposed to be doing there.

So I tried to figure it out
by making a list of my marketable skills and interests.

It must have worked,
because
a few weeks later I found a job
and I loved it.

I found the list again this week.
It made me laugh.
Not because it was silly,
but because it was still accurate!

Here it is:

I am a
detail-oriented,
organized
independent thinker
with a
science background
who is really awesome at
finding patterns & connections between disciplines
and
synthesizing, compiling, and presenting information,
complete with outstanding
computer, technical writing,
and communication skills.

I love
working with people -
teaching, helping, serving, etc -
being a leader,
working independently on specific responsibilities,
and
learning new things.

Success = a day when people are better off
because of the work I've done.

Almost a decade after writing this list,
I am pretty much just the same.
And I am glad.

The End

1 comment: