Wednesday, August 1, 2012

DV, Day 4, Part 1

Day 4 was also known as Glacier Day, and it was one of my favorite days on the trip. It also means there are a ton of pictures to show, so I have to break it up so it will load on your computer. :-)

We woke up in Juneau. After breakfast, I headed off the boat with one of my traveling companions, and we jumped on a bus that took us to Mendenhall Glacier in Tongass National Park. This bus driver was just as entertaining as the rest, and he showed us where to sight the bald eagles and jumping salmon along our route. He also explained the logical sequence of names leading up to Mendenhall Glacier - including...

Mendenhall Loop Road is in Mendenhall Valley, and turns off to Mendenhall Blvd. The valley also contains the Mendenhall River, which feeds into Mendenhall Lake, which is the home to Mendenhall Glacier.

Creative, huh.

Here is what we saw after hiking about 3/4 mile in from the visitor's center to Nugget Falls:

My 360 degree view from the beach of Nugget Falls-1

My 360 degree view from the beach of Nugget Falls-2

My 360 degree view from the beach of Nugget Falls-3

My 360 degree view from the beach of Nugget Falls-4
Note the icebergs in the water.

My 360 degree view from the beach of Nugget Falls-5
Yep. That's the glacier! A little teeny tiny part of it, anyway.

My 360 degree view from the beach of Nugget Falls-6
The falls themselves.
If you've never looked at this from Google Maps, I suggest you do. The little part of the glacier you can see is boring by comparison. These pictures don't do the view justice in the least, but at least it gives you a sense of the amazingness.

Then... it got even better!

No comments:

Post a Comment