Saturday, August 14, 2010

Service Received, Love Expressed

Today I feel blessed.  Not just because it's tax free weekend in Massachusetts, either.  No, my blessings were bigger and better than that today.

There is a wonderful program in the Church called Visiting Teaching.  Essentially, it is women looking after women, taking care of temporal, spiritual, or emotional needs as a loving sister would.  Generally, at the end of a visit, visiting teachers ask their sisters, What can we do for you? and the sister often replies, Nothing - I'm doing fine right now.  Then comes the time when the answer changes, and help is requested... and the visiting teacher has an opportunity to act as an angel for the one she serves.

My visiting teacher did for me today something I could not do for myself (at least, not easily). And she recruited others to help.  Four wonderful friends aided me in accomplishing a major undertaking involving sand, bricks, and my perennial bed, and now my surroundings are more beautiful than before.  But more importantly, I feel the love of my Father in Heaven, as expressed through the love of a visiting teacher.  Thank you, my dear friend.  You exemplify Christlike love in your actions.

No comments:

Post a Comment