Friday, November 19, 2010

The New Normal

I made a comment last week: stressed is the new normal. I made it in jest. But it's accurate.

The usual pace has picked up a notch.  It's kind of like trying to run a six minute mile... six times a day, with maybe a little chance to catch your breath in between. (I haven't done even one that fast since high school...)

I used to wonder how my supervisor could go all day on a banana and a few pieces of rye bread with raisins. (It's pretty good stuff! He shares.)  Today, he counseled me to take advantage of every offer for a lunch run - it was the only way he was guaranteed to eat.  I know what he means - there isn't five minutes to warm up the leftovers. Today, between the time I got the lettuce out and the time I had a salad on my plate, I had two conversations with colleagues and had walked to the other side of the building to consult with the construction guys who wanted to schedule some work on an adjoining wall. If people need you, they'll find you - in the office or in the kitchen. I started my lunch at 3.  I finished at 4. I worked the entire hour.

I am learning what makes me really stressed, what is essential to delegate, what is ok to take on, and what has to wait until everyone goes home. I have learned to love my assistant and everything he does for me, and I am eager to begin relying on even more people to help me succeed.  I have learned it's ok to do the dishes only once a week, and to wait to clean the house until Friday night.  I am learning how to unwind on weekends.

More than once, I have looked at what I'm trying to do and been amazed that I am starting to get the hang of it.  And that, my friends, is a miracle.

No comments:

Post a Comment