Sunday, February 14, 2010

On Love

Valentine's Day. What a holiday. The mandatory "tell everyone you love that you love them" day. And do it by giving them a piece of candy, or a Dora the Explora' valentine, or a mushy poem, or flowers, or chocolate.  So says the world.  And I enjoy those traditions, sometimes, particularly the part about chocolate (who doesn't?).

Today, I have contemplated a larger expression of love.  The kind where someone does something for you that you cannot do yourself. Perhaps you just cannot do it right at that moment, and perhaps not ever. This kind of love gives expression as an angel friend sees a need and fills it - with dinner, groceries, someone to talk to, a shoulder to cry on, a listening ear, a hug, or a multitude of other small acts of compassion. This kind of love is - and should be - expressed every day, not just on Valentine's Day, and it is this kind of love that builds faith in a loving and compassionate God.

In Relief Society today, we talked about our need for a Savior and Redeemer. As I ponder the gift of love He willingly gave, the Atoning sacrifice He made for you and me and every individual in the family of Adam, my heart fills with a deep reverence and gratitude. I, in all my stubborn independence, have a hard time admitting I can't do it by myself (with "it" being anything from shoveling snow to obtaining exaltation). And then when I finally realize I don't have to do it alone, His grace and enabling power kick in, and I am magnified far beyond my expectations.

Our God is not a "call me if there's anything I can do for you" God.  He is an "I'm standing on your porch with dinner, just open the door" kind of God. 

And for that, I am most grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment