Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Random Thoughts

Someone's prayers have been answered.  It didn't snow 6-9 inches like they thought - in fact, it hasn't even started sticking at all yet (at least, it hadn't when I started writing...).  I, for one, am grateful - now it is much less likely that I will have to try to persuade someone to come shovel my driveway in order to access my car tomorrow morning.

There's a war going on inside me.  It's the good guys - white blood cells, antibodies, etc. - against the bad guys - nasty germs and viruses.  I can basically tell who's winning by how I feel.  I'm pretty sure the good guys are winning at this point - I had enough energy to make & eat lunch and clean up the last 3 days worth of dishes before I had to retreat back to my position on the couch.  With luck, I'll even be able to do some laundry in an effort to sanitize my home before the day is over.

It does make me think about the other battles we face on a daily basis.  The continuation of the war in heaven ... the natural man vs. spirit ... the challenge to choose good over evil on a moment-to-moment basis.  For example, yesterday I didn't even pick up my scriptures, yet I had the energy to check my email and blog and talk on the phone.  Battle lost? Perhaps.    One small choice might not appear on the surface to be a big deal, but it is the compilation of our small choices that yields the essence of our lives.

In preparing to teach Relief Society on Sunday, I have occasion to ponder the question: What are your feelings toward the Savior as you learn of his role in the plan of salvation?  My mind reverts back to the times in my life where my efforts have seemed insufficient, yet combined with his grace and mercy, they are accepted before God.  After all, "it is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do."  I think of choir numbers that went far better than I could ever have anticipated, except that we had consecrated our performance unto the Lord; I think of the times I received direct inspiration in conversation with a friend, and was able to say exactly what was needed.  These are the examples of grace I try to remember, particularly during other times when I (perhaps mistakenly) think I must do more, or be more, before I merit his assistance.  Regardless of my shortcomings, however, I can feel that my Savior loves me with a love beyond my comprehension, and I know that he willingly performed the Atonement because of that love.  And that fills me with wonder and awe.

1 comment:

  1. We can never do enough, or be enough... never. It is only through the Savior that we can make it. We have to start our days by surrendering our will to him and saying I can't do it, do it for me. It is not easy to do, in fact down right hard a lot of days, but it is the only way.

    ReplyDelete