Saturday, February 6, 2010

Saturday Night Contemplations

I love quiet.  Especially after thoroughly enjoying something loud, quiet is particularly endearing.  The movement one makes from loud into quiet is a pleasant transition into peace, calm, and (often) sleep.  Don't get me wrong, loud is fun, when you choose it. Last night's loud, for example, included lots of good friends, a few people I didn't know (but we tried to change that) and a couple of karaoke mikes.  It was great ... and left my head buzzing when I moved back into my usual quiet.

I think my favorite kind of quiet is the kind you share with lots of people, when you feel so much like you belong that words aren't necessary to communicate love and acceptance.  I feel this most often when I work in the temple, and second most in Sacrament Meetings.  But sometimes those aren't very quiet.  People who love each other have a hard time keeping from verbalizing it, and hundreds of verbalizations of love vocalized all at once gets pretty noisy!

I was thinking today as I sat in the temple about another time in another temple.  My sis was going through before she married her rhb, and I walked in and saw my oldest brother sitting there - the one who had told us he wouldn't make it to this meeting since he would probably still be driving his family halfway across the country.  I was so excited to see him that I had a hard time keeping it in (and probably didn't, to be honest).  They had gotten up super early (and probably drove extra fast) to make it in time.  It ended up being a wonderful experience.  For some reason, remembering that surprise today filled my heart with a bunch of different emotions, and I was grateful again that there are places on earth that we can unexpectedly run into people we love, squeal in delight, and then cover our mouths in apology and quietly enjoy the heavenly feelings that expand our hearts.

Heavenly Father knew what He was doing when He invented families.

No comments:

Post a Comment