Saturday, February 26, 2011

A Random Conglomeration of Thoughts, Separated Into Paragraphs

I kid you not: I filed my taxes on Monday. I get my refund on Wednesday. That's 9 days, people! Perhaps our government can be efficient about something. How's that for neat?

I went to a meeting tonight with Bishop Burton and Elder Costa. During Bishop Burton's talk, he spoke about how when he was a teenager, he met with David O. McKay, during which conversation President McKay told him about how when he was a teenager he had met with John Taylor, who had showed the young McKay the scars on his arm from the wounds he sustained during the martyrdom of Joseph Smith. I thought about how wonderful it is that I can hear a man testify that he knew a man who knew a man who spent time in the presence of the Prophet of the Restoration - a prophet who died over 120 years before I was born. That close a connection to the first prophet of this dispensation may not be had by future generations, and I am grateful to have heard that story tonight. As well I am glad for the personal knowledge we each can have of the reality of a living prophet of God on the earth.

About a week or so ago, I had an interesting conversation with a friend about the next generation of electronic entertainment. We have great technology at our fingertips now... the Wii, Kinect, etc, that let us exercise in the comfort of our own homes. This friend predicted that soon, gyms will go the way of all the earth, and people will be able to go to the "virtual gym" without leaving their home. The technology is almost good enough to sense motion in all dimensions - and when it gets there, watch out world! It will be an entirely new way of doing things.

And lastly, a comment on innovation. It is pretty much awesome. I love the creative process and the results of collaborating with people to obtain an innovative and new solution to an existing problem. Everyone should do it.

The End.

No comments:

Post a Comment