Sunday, February 13, 2011

Thinking...

For three days in a row, now, I have tried to come up with something to write that might actually be interesting to you.

We'll see if I actually succeed. :-)

We had ponder-worthy lessons in church today. One meeting was all about charity. One meeting was all about miracles.  The last meeting was all about work. It fit well together. I tried to let the Spirit guide my thoughts and teach me something in our meetings.

I found myself thinking about how greatly I admire people who are doing their best while humbly admitting they aren't perfect, that they don't understand everything, but that they're trying to do so.

I thought about how when Jesus performed miracles, He charged the recipients of said miracles not to tell anyone - not because it wouldn't be obvious that a blind man could now see, or a deaf man could now hear, or a dead child was now alive - but because the receipt of a miracle is a sacred experience, the details of which should be kept close to our hearts as our own personal treasure of knowledge that our God loves us enough to bless us so abundantly. That a miracle can be as small as hitting all the lights green on the way home, or a bird outside your window to wake you up, or as big and marvelous as the feeling of forgiveness from sin and cleansing from hurt and pain.

I had an interesting thought on the idea of work, too - I don't know what you picture in your mind when you think of the work of the creation, but my picture was sort of this: an all-powerful Being, sitting on a throne, speaks a word and maybe gestures his hand in some way, and poof!  It is done. Today's discussion taught me that perhaps this picture is inaccurate.  Think instead, of that same Being, moving here & there, using His physical capacities to create and organize, picking up this and putting it there, all the while teaching others how to do the same. The work of teaching is one of His greatest works, and any time we engage in sharing with others the Plan of Salvation (in any part), we are doing the work of God. And in so doing, we find a spirit and satisfaction beyond measure.

No comments:

Post a Comment