Saturday, March 20, 2010

Family

My friend was married today. As I watched her interact with her new husband and with her father and with her mother, I felt some of what they all must be feeling. Father hoping the best for his treasured daughter as they danced and conversed together. Mother expressing her love in a sweet surprise gift for the bride and groom. The bride looking into the eyes of the groom, love communicated between them without words, and anxious to start their new life together. A match, and a sweet celebration to commemorate it.

I don't have much of the someday wedding planned, but I know now that there will be a dance with dad before that night is over. Like in the olden days, when he taught me swing to Scott Joplin ragtime playing on a record player.

2 comments:

  1. I swung dance with my dad for our daddy daughter dance :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No daddy daughter dance here! I am completely opposed to all forms of public humiliation, which include dancing for me. My dad did sing a song at my request while John and I had our first and only dance of the night. John and I like to dance with each other, we just prefer to dance on the kitchen floor instead of a dance floor.

    ReplyDelete