Thursday, July 29, 2010

On Balance

It's been one of those weeks. The kind you look back on and think, Seriously? Where was the balance?

Tuesday I worked until 7:45 or so...

Wednesday I played the "take the car in before work (oh by the way the mechanic wants it by eight) then balance a whole day (on less sleep than usual) and try to get back again before the shop closes at six but don't forget you have that meeting at five and oh by the way don't forget to get a ride or else you have to leave even earlier to catch the T" game...

Then came home and did a week's worth of dishes, hung the laundry I did last week (two weeks ago?), filed the six months worth of paper I had started sorting on the dining room table when I was distracted by the furniture delivery last Saturday and hadn't gotten back to yet, and watched Hercules (until my computer died because I didn't have the power cord with me) to try to disengage from reality.  Which, by the way, makes a lot more sense after reading the Percy Jackson series or getting Greek mythology lessons. The movie, not reality.

Now that my house is clean (ish), I can think more clearly.  One thing is super clear - I need another vacation. 

I determined tonight that it's been about a month since I've gone more than two days without hearing offensive language (and those were all weekends).  There needs to be something to balance it out.  It's really the question of what you think about when you're thinking about nothing.  If you've failed to actively create something else to choose from, wouldn't you think about what you saw and heard all day?  And what if that was all lousy, uneducated, or offensive...?  So it must needs be that we fill our minds with good things, so we have something with which to fill the empty spaces that the bad things would otherwise creep in and take over.

As Elder Holland says, "Like thieves in the night, unwelcome thoughts can and do seek entrance to our minds. But we don’t have to throw open the door, serve them tea and crumpets, and then tell them where the silverware is kept! ... Throw the rascals out! ... Whatever thoughts you have, make sure they are welcome in your heart by invitation only."

Thus, choosing to read (and going back to memorizing) scriptures is more than just good.  It's imperative.

End of sermon to self.

No comments:

Post a Comment