Saturday, July 10, 2010

On Calming Storms

Sitting at a stoplight on my way home from CostCo, I looked ahead of me and noticed something unusual: even though there were only a few drops of water on my windshield - not even enough to justify turning on the wipers - the street a few blocks ahead of me looked like it had just been pummeled with rain.  I was literally sitting at the edge of the storm. Sure enough, when the light turned green, I drove right into it - a rip-roaring downpour that rivaled anything I've ever seen.  Windshield wipers on top speed increased visibility to maybe 10 feet.  Roads flash flooded with water up to the headlights. Thunder crashed only seconds after lightning struck.  Umbrellas were useless.  Then, an hour later, it was gone. Rain softly drizzled from the sky, then stopped completely, and all that was left was destruction.  Asphalt roads torn up in huge chunks.  Tree branches down.  Stalled cars stranded in ginormous puddles.  The post-storm stillness.

Now I study and ponder and seek the Spirit to guide me as I teach tomorrow about the Master of the storm. And as I do so, (now that I've quit trying to prepare the lesson my way,) He calms the storm of indecision in my mind, and replaces it instead with peace in my heart. I think I finally know how I'm going to present this one.

“If we love God, we will trust and obey Him, as Jesus did. If we love others, we will help them meet their physical and spiritual needs.”

No comments:

Post a Comment