Sunday, July 18, 2010

A Summer Sabbath

Last year, I felt gypped out of my summer.  This year, I am not complaining.

I have to keep reminding myself of the former, because it helps me with the latter.

I carefully prepared for church this morning... just like every other Sunday.

Only this Sunday, the A/C was sputtering (at best) and ineffective in our building.

This Sunday, everyone needed a program.

As a fan.

This Sunday, we all had a glow about us.

(Maybe from sweat, maybe from the Spirit.) 

Sacrament meeting wasn't too bad, but it got progressively hotter as the meetings went on, and by the end of Relief Society, I felt like I was going to melt. 

Choir practice felt (as heat exhaustion goes) like mile 12 of a half marathon.

But we were all there - faithful people wanting to worship, even if it was hot, because it was the right place to be on the Sabbath (and as my friend said in the closing prayer, because she knows it's hotter in hell).

In spite of the heat, I felt the Spirit testify of the power of the temple, the reality of the Atonement, and what things I need to ponder this afternoon.

I felt the love of my Savior.

And now, as I sit in my small but air conditioned space at home with a big glass of (mostly) ice (and some) water, I feel grateful for the experience.

Because I know that feeling hot for 4 hours is a small thing to sacrifice in exchange for what I was given in return.

No comments:

Post a Comment