Thursday, January 6, 2011

Two Perspectives

I finally started a well-deserved two week vacation, and was sick almost the entire time.  I didn't read nearly as many books as I would have liked. My Wii time was limited by my energy levels. It was cold outside, and it snowed. Only a few days after I started to feel myself again, it was time to come home and go back to the >300 emails waiting for my attention, a potentially overwhelming task after such a long time away.

My Christmas holiday was wondeful. I had loving family around to take care of me when I was feeling under the weather. My brother even ventured out into the icy post-storm danger to pick up some ginger ale for my ailing stomach (on the pretense of needing some croissants as well, of course). The extra rest obtained while boosting my immune system for the coming months was a blessing, too. My days were filled with snuggling and stories and talking with family, including my nieces and nephew, and learning about their lives and what they feel is important. It was slow and wonderful. Little L is super-affectionate, so it was easy to trade endless Berenstain Bears stories and flossing little teeth for cozy hugs, kisses, and "I love you"s. Generous gifts were shared, and I came home well-equipped to write many a letter to those delightful children over the next year. We had fun playing on the Wii, and I was entertained by watching even when I felt too tired to play. During my time off, I escaped from the usual stressors of my Boston life, and enjoyed the opportunity to relax. I even have a few extra days before I go "back to the grind", so there will be time for unpacking, massage, and other important things.

I could explain the past two weeks of blog silence with either perspective. Fortunately, choosing to see it from the latter perspective brings me greater satisfaction.

Happy New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment