Sunday, January 30, 2011

Be Still

I appreciate my quiet life. Sometimes more than others... there are those times when it feels too quiet for me, when I would really enjoy the cacophony of little voices in the background, or a little music to break the lonely stillness. But most of the time, I like the quiet.

I like sitting still, letting my mind wander, interested to learn where its ramblings will end, occasionally amused with tracing a train of thought back to its original departure point, marveling at the connections I have managed to make between terribly unrelated topics.

I like the stillness of the temple, where love is spoken with kind looks and gentle hands, where my thoughts can become conversations with a Divine Being, and the discussions are real, two-way, and fulfilling.

Or the comfortable quiet of family togetherness, like when I was a teenager and Sunday afternoons were almost always spent in the living room, each kid on his or her own section of the couch with a book and sometimes a snack. Which then reminds me of the times we would gather on Mom & Dad's bed in the fading Sabbath evening, enjoying a conversation & laughter together (and effectively delaying bedtime, for what mother sends all her children to bed when they are finally enjoying themselves together in peaceful harmony? Not mine...).

Yes, for me, the quiet opens the door to revelation. Even when there is not quiet in my environment, revelation comes when there is quiet in my mind. I do not know what the future holds, but when I take a quiet moment to "be still", the Spirit whispers that this is the right path, that all will be well, and that great things are on the horizon.

Neat-o.

1 comment:

  1. Today I am wishing for this quiet. My visiting teachers came over and between the kids wrestling and screaming I hardly heard a word. When they left I burst into tears. I love the sound of little voices but sometimes even moms need some quiet.

    ReplyDelete