Sunday, December 13, 2009

A Christmas Thought

"He is despised and rejected of men;
a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief;
and we hid as it were our faces from him;
he was despised, and we esteemed him not.
Surely he has borne our griefs,
and carried our sorrows;
yet we did esteem him stricken,
smitten of God, and afflicted.
But he was wounded for our transgressions,
he was bruised for our iniquities;
the chastisement of our peace was upon him;
and with his striped we are healed."
(Abinadi quoting Isaiah 53:3-5)

There was a Christmas concert tonight.  We lifted our voices in glorious song to praise our God for the Babe in Bethlehem.  As I sang, I felt the Spirit witness to me of the divinity of the Son of God, even Jesus Christ our Savior.  He came to earth that he might save all men, even as many as would believe on His name.  He has felt of my pain and sorrow - whether physical, emotional, or spiritual - and through His Atonement I find peace, healing, and rest.  How grateful I am for this Christmas season and the opportunity to remember Him.

Words seem pathetically inadequate... I read this and wonder if it captures the feeling that the memory elicits.  Would that I had the writer's equivalent of the tongue of angels to convey the ideas floating in my head... thoughts of Christ that elevate the soul and instill gratitude into the human heart.

1 comment: