Tuesday, December 29, 2009

On Junk

The beginning of a New Year is a time for celebration, contemplation, resolution, and organization.  At least, it is wherever I am.  In that spirit, I have been going through the boxes of items I collected in elementary, junior high, and high school that have been stored in my parents' house for a great number of years.  Pictures... trophies... awards... stories... journals... letters... dolls... posters... home decor.  Frankly, it's mostly junk.  But some of it is good, significant, memory-filled junk that has meaning in my life. 

The new year has a way of making me mercilessly unsentimental about keeping junk, however.  Enter the miracle of the digital camera!  Instead of keeping all my good junk (and figuring out how to cart it around with me for the rest of my life), today I took pictures of the best of my junk and then tossed it in the garbage.  Now, when I'm old and gray and my children are cleaning out my house, they will only have to throw away a data storage device with all my old junk on it instead of the junk itself.  See what I am willing to do for my posterity?  Amazing.

The end.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for cleaning out those boxes...and for helping me clean out the linen closet! xo Mom

    ReplyDelete