Wednesday, January 27, 2010

A Crunch

I used to not prefer apples to other fruits.  Then I moved to a place where you can pick them off a tree and eat them fresh.  (I grew up doing that with oranges and grapefruit.  After a few years, I didn't even have to put sugar on my grapefruit.  Just so you know.)  And then, I found a market that sells them - the apples - fresh.  Fresh apples are crisper and juicier than old apples.  Thus, they taste much better.  Tonight, I realized that I have eaten a crisp, juicy Granny Smith apple almost every day for a few months.  And enjoyed them.  Bingo!  The "what fruit do I eat in the winter?" problem is solved!

Yeah, I know you're wondering.  I don't eat grapefruit when it's in season, even though I love it. Because I have to buy it from the store or pay to ship the fresh stuff from Arizona.  And let's face it.  Buying inferior fruit at even reasonable prices is less than ideal.  I'm a citrus snob.  And shipping it is expensive. (Hence the annual visit to Arizona to get warm, eat grapefruit, and - oh yeah - see family.)

I like the apple crunch better than the staff crunch.  In October, we lost one.  We backfilled and we did OK.  Then one left us for California.  We changed plans and backfilled again.  Today I learned another one is moving on.  Oye!  Make new plans yet again!  "Nothing endures but change..."  So change we will.

1 comment:

  1. Is it time for you to move on as well? Is your company struggling???

    ReplyDelete