Sunday, January 24, 2010

Tender Mercies

Yesterday my brain was working through what seemed to be a tricky problem, and I couldn't figure out the answer.  I talked through my thoughts with a compassionate friend, but still felt "off" for most of the day.  As I closed my day with scripture study, the beginnings of an answer started peeking out from hidden, dusty corners in my mind, and I realized I had been neglecting the spiritual things just enough so that those corners' lights - the ones where my answers always were - were dim.  The study and pondering associated with this Sabbath day culminated in an answer of such clarity that I wondered at my prior confusion.  As I related the experience to my home teacher, I realized that it was a simple way for a kind Father to teach me how important those little things - prayer, serious study, temple attendance - can be.  And I was grateful for the His tender mercies that reminded me (in a relatively painless way) of what He wants me to do.

Tonight, I visited a friend for her birthday.  Walking to and from my car, I heard the steady drip-drip-drip that I usually associate with rain, but none was falling.  Then it dawned on me.  The snow was melting... and the drip-drip-drip was the sound of water running off trees and houses.  What a blessing!  The temperature is not forecast to drop below freezing tonight, and combined with rain tomorrow, we might even see some parts of my world free of snow, ice, dirt and sand for a few days.  To some, this might not seem like much... to a person used to a plethora of sunshine and short winters, it is a blessed reprieve from the cold days ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment